Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Make A Statement

Over the past 6 weeks I have been working on changing my running form so that I strike the ground mid-foot as opposed to landing on my heel, which is how I've always run along with about 80% of the population.  This has been incredibly challenging and very frustrating as it slows me down and gives me an additional variable to focus on during my run.  That said, research shows that runners who strike mid-foot tend to end up with less injuries than those who strike on their heel.  I have had several injuries over the years, so I'm willing to make the effort if this is truly the case.  To support my effort, I decided to try out a new pair of "minimal" running shoes; straying from the fit and style I have worn every year since college.  When I purchased them, I decided to go all out and get the neon turquoise and yellow version rather than my usual white with a splash of color.  I'm not going to lie, when I put them on this morning, I felt like superhero. They are totally wild and I wasn't sure I could pull them off, but I went for it.  From a fashion standpoint, the shoes are one of the few things a runner gets to play with.  Let me sum up the various comments that I received throughout the day:

"Wow, those are awesome!" - from my daughter, Rosie
"Whoa, look at Mrs. Trachsel's shoes" - from a mom at rosie's school who was pointing out my shoes to her daughter
"Oh my, those shoes remind me of the Reeboks my gym teacher used to wear in the 80s" - another mom at school
"Nice, those are cool. I like 'em"- from Kirsten, my running partner
"Yo. Do they make those shoes in the same colors for men?" - from a total stranger yelling across the street at me in downtown Winchester

Ok, I can appreciate the fact that by wearing these shoes I'm standing out more than usual.  And I know that there was some sarcasm in a few of these comments.  But, you know what...why not make a statement?  I'm a runner.  Check out my freakin' bad-- shoes.

Listen to this:
Pumped Up Kicks - Foster the People (I couldn't resist)  Pumped Up Kicks - Torches

No comments:

Post a Comment