Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Morning Warrior

There are so many runners who get up early and brave the elements on a daily basis.  I'm in awe of this group and I applaud them for their drive.  As I've mentioned, I rarely head out for a run until I've had a cup of coffee and some time to wake my legs up a bit.  It wasn't always this way.  I used to be able to jump up any time and hit the road with no added fuel and still half asleep.  But, I am 36, I have 2 kids, and I'm way more tired than I used to be, so this is just the way it is now.  Throughout the winter, due to a shift in our family's schedule, I no longer have the luxury to run when it works for me on the week-end.  I have no choice but to get up early on Saturday morning and get out there before the day starts.  This shift in routine is extremely difficult and often slightly painful.  Here's the scenario...it's 6:00 AM, it's pitch black out and it's a balmy 11 degrees.  Motivation level, zero.  And yet, it has to be done.  So, I roll out of bed, get dressed in 5 layers of fleece and microfiber, and set out, slowly and rather unsurely.  For these runs there is typically no one else on the road, so it's just me and my music.  Here's when the singing and, yes, dancing are helpful tools and totally acceptable.  I might be dragging and ridiculously cold, but I am free to do whatever it takes to make this a run worth getting up for.  So, this winter I will attempt to embrace the morning, savor the freedom, and remind myself every Saturday that it can be done.  For four months only, I will join the morning warriors.  Oh boy!

Listen to this:
Born With A Broken Heart - David Wax Museum   Born With a Broken Heart - Everything Is Saved

* For Jackie R. who gets up at 3:00 am to get his run in.

No comments:

Post a Comment