Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Old 'New'

I am constantly on the hunt for new music.  There is nothing better than finding an artist or album that I like and taking the time to explore their sound or it's story, respectively.  That said, every once in a while it's good to pull out something from the past; to listen to the artists that helped influence much of what we listen to today.  I can't deny that much of my love for music is rooted in many of the albums that I discovered throughout my tragic years of junior high.  My husband (who also has a passion for music) recently suggested that we sit back and listen to U2's Joshua Tree, which was released in 1987, from start to finish.  As each song played, we talked about where we were when the album came out, the memories that certain songs brought to mind and how we shared the experience with our friends at the time.  For both of us, this album had such a strong influence during a time in our lives when music had a huge impact.  I was totally blown away by how moved I still am by this album.  Without the work of artists like these, we wouldn't have the work of the new artists that we're listening to today.  Next time you're scrolling through your music library, consider taking some time to rediscover an old album.  Enjoy the old 'new'.

Listen to this:
Exit - U2 (Joshua Tree)  Exit - The Joshua Tree (Deluxe Edition) [Remastered]

and if you have the time, listen to this, too:
One Tree Hill - U2 (Joshua Tree)  One Tree Hill - The Joshua Tree (Deluxe Edition) [Remastered]

No comments:

Post a Comment