Monday, January 9, 2012

Add and Delete

Some of us run with music.  Some of us race with music.  I do both.  Then there are those who don't run at all, but love music and use it to inspire whatever it is they do.  I get it.  It's really important to a lot of us.  For me, the playlist is everything.  Particularly for a race.  Each song serves a different purpose.  So, when my sister-in-law mentioned that she hasn't updated her iPod in over a year I was floored.  Days later my running teammate mentioned that she had to skip certain songs on her playlist as she was cruising through a 5K because they were too slow.  People, this should not be necessary.  I will admit that for some runners and/or music fans, the same 12 songs will always motivate them no matter what.  And for those people, all the power to you.  But, for most of us, we need to update our music to reflect the changes and new inspirations in our lives.  Squeeze and Big Audio Dynamite just don't cut it for me these days.  No disrespect to these bands, which I still enjoy listening to, but they do not take me to that next level the way they used to; and there is so much amazing music out there now that will.  I get so fired up about new music that when I upload a new song or artist to my playlist and it comes on during a run, my pace automatically quickens and I often find myself smiling with giddiness.  If that's all it takes to make a run more fun (and often less painful), then why not?  It's a new year, take a minute to add and delete.  Fresh start, fresh playlist.

Listen to this:
White Knuckles - OK Go  White Knuckles - Of the Blue Colour of the Sky

No comments:

Post a Comment