Monday, July 9, 2012

My Walking Days Are Over (for now)

After a two week break due to an injury I'm finally running again.  It's slow going, but it's soooo nice to be back on the road.  When it comes to exercise, I like to be efficient with my time so I'm not a huge fan of walking.  In this case, it was all I could do, so I had to roll with it.  After logging several long, slow miles, I must say I have a new appreciation for walking and what it has to offer. In the first week, I was still pretty sore, so I was really just shuffling.  On these days, I often took my dog who used to run with me when she was younger but has started to slow down in her old age.  On the hotter days, she'd often pull the "sniff and stall", her own move, where she would pretend to be smelling something of interest but was really just taking a little rest.  Rather than be impatient and pull her along as I normally do, I found myself looking up and taking it all in.  When I run, I get in the zone and lose myself, so this was something new.  And I loved it.  Every day I discovered something really cool, something unique and it was always worth stopping for a closer look (see pics below).  On of my walks a group of people in a jeep pulled over to get directions.  Before they took off, I asked them what band they were listening to which they were happy to share with me.  We chatted for a bit and then I borrowed a pen and wrote down the info on my hand so I could come back to it when I got home.  There is no way I would have done this or stopped for anything, really, if I had been cruising along on a run.  So, yes, my walking days are over for now.  But there will undoubtedly be more injuries.  And probably a lot more walking.  And I'm ok with that.
JEEP SONG
COOL PLANT (from the cactus family)  
NEWLY OPENED DAY LILY
COTTON BALL SKY
LUCY, MY WALKING PARTNER

Listen to this:
Real Love - Delorean   Real Love - Subiza

No comments:

Post a Comment