Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Time Is Now

Over the last year or so I have been trying to break a specific time for my 5K.  I'm 37 and the clock is ticking, so I'm feeling like I need to make it happen sooner rather than later.  After running several races last the year, I was beginning to feel a bit stuck so I asked a coach to work with me to create a plan that would help me achieve my goal.  Since May, I have been diligently heading to the track to run his suggested workouts.  Even on paper they were intimidating and each time I began I wondered if I would be able to pull it off, which, I suppose, was the point.  Despite the heat, some family travel, and a few bruised ribs, I have been able to successfully follow his plan.  At this point, I have two final races to attempt my goal and then I have to shift gears and focus on my job for the fall.  I'm hoping that the hay is in the barn, so to speak.  The first race is tomorrow evening so I was planning to treat it as sort of a dry run to see what I'm capable of.  I emailed my coach and asked him to suggest a strategy which I have struggled to come up with for my past races.  Should I go all out?  Should I take it easy for the first mile?  Should I just treat this as a speed workout and save my energy for the final race the following week?  His response was unexpected and so simple.  He said, "Rebecca, sooner or later you're going to have to take a risk, why not now?"  Fair question.  As I mulled it over I hopped in my car to run an errand.  And then, as if someone was speaking to me from above, I heard this stirring track by Lord Huron titled, no joke, It's Time To Run.  The song's story happens to be about someone who is running from the law, but hey, running is running.  I listened to the lyrics explain that this guy took a risk and that he has no regrets about what he did.  Yep. Ok.  No regrets.  I don't want to have them either.  Let's risk it all.  Because, clearly, the time is now.

Listen to this:
It's Time to Run - Lord Huron 

No comments:

Post a Comment