Wednesday, May 22, 2013

"A Few of My Favorite Things"

RUNNING...
The hills are alive.....
My girls are obssessed with the movie The Sound of Music at the moment.  They know every song by heart and often sing and act them out with each other and their friends.  I have to admit that this was one of my all time favorites when I was little, so I am more than thrilled that they love it as much as I did.  I often find myself singing along with them (yes, I still know all the words by heart) and sneaking peaks when they are watching as I just...can't...resist.  Julie Andrews is simply that good.  CJB will back me up on this.  Yesterday I got some good news...sort of.  I went to the doctor to discuss next steps in regards to my current foot injury.  What I thought was a rupture is merely a strain; standard plantar fasciitis.  --> insert huge sigh of relief here <-- He informed me that if it had torn, I would have felt the snap and heard a "pop".   Sounds insanely unpleasant.  He sent me off with a night splint, some prescription anti-inflammatories, some stretches to do religiously and a handshake.  I skipped out of the office, not too unlike Julie Andrews skipping through the hills of Austria.  Sure, it's going to set me back a bit, but I'm not totally down for the count which is what I was assuming he would tell me.  Oh, to be a runner and appreciate the little injuries and how much easier they are to overcome than the big ones.  'Raindrops on roses' are great.  They are.  So are 'whiskers on kittens'.  But, running is what I like to do 'when the dog bites' or 'the bee stings'.  Running is my 'spoonful of sugar'. Oh, wait, that's Mary Poppins (also played by Julie Andrews).  Seriously, though, running, among other things, is up there on the list of "My Favorite Things".  My husband knows this.  My kids know it.  My friends know it.  And when I'm running down the street, singing out loud and shaking my head to the beat of my music, I'm guessing the people who are passing me in their cars know it, too.  I have other 'favorite things'.  Lots of them.  My family & friends.  Love them.  My job.  Awesome.  Music.  I dig it.  Coffee.  I can't live without it.   Running related favorites...I have those, too.  Oiselle (attire), NUUN (hydration), & Yurbuds (headphones) to name a select few.  I could keep going but there is really no need.  You get the point.  Fortunately, when 'I'm feeling sad' I have a lot to fall back on.  That Maria...she may have been a problem, but she was on to something.  When I think of all of my favorites...well, then I don't feel....so...bad.  Cheesy.  I know.  But true.

....AND MUSIC 

Listen to this:
Hey Na Na - Galactic feat. David Shaw& Maggie Koerner  Hey Na Na (feat. David Shaw of the Revivalists and Maggie Koerner) - Carnivale Electricos *

* From one of my favorite people, C. Hughes. Thx for sharing.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you have a plan for the plantar fasciitis, it can be very persistent. Really good shoes (both for running and otherwise), doing those stretches religiously, and keeping the calf muscles and hamstrings loose are all important in keeping it at bay.

    ReplyDelete