Wednesday, June 19, 2013

You Never Know

RUNNING...
Rocky, the moon-walking raccoon.
This past Monday, I was cruising along in the first mile of my run; totally zoned out, and relying heavily on my music to wake me up.  I caught something out of the corner of my eye that looked like a cat, which I opted to ignore.  As I got closer, though, I realized it was a raccoon and he was definitely not well. It looked kind of like he was doing the moon walk in slow motion.  I panicked and crossed the street, praying that he wasn't going to lash out and start chasing me.  Let's just say my pace quickened nicely after that.  About a half mile down the road, I noticed a policeman sitting in a playground parking lot.  I decided it might be worth letting him know that crazy Rocky was behind me and that he didn't look like he would be friendly if a kid walked up and tried to pet him.  Here's how our conversation went:

Officer: Morning, mam.  Can I help you with something?
Me: Well, I just saw a rabid-looking raccoon on the bridge back there. It kind of looked like he might be dying.
Officer: Yea? Was he walking like he was drunk?
Me: Yes. Exactly.  At first I thought it was a cat and then as I got closer I realized what it was.  He looked right at me so I kind of freaked out and bee-lined it across the street.
Officer: (with a completely deadpan expression on his face) Yea? Did he make you run faster?  
Me: Um, yes. I guess he did.  I suppose if there was a rabid raccoon at every mile I'd run a pretty fast race.
Officer: (small smirk, but not much more than that) I bet you would, mam.
Me: Well, ok then. Just thought I should let you know.
Officer.  I'll go check it out.  Thanks for the heads up.  Have a good run.
Me: Thanks officer.

I then took off at a relatively swift clip and laughed as I replayed the conversation in my head.  I came up with several conclusions as I thought it through.  First, wild and crazy things (ie. moon walking animals) will definitely jump start your run and get you moving faster.  Do what you will what that.  Second, this policeman was either totally serious and perhaps a runner himself, or he was totally f'ing with me the whole time.  I'm going to go with the former, but it was more likely that latter.  I honestly couldn't tell.  And finally, you truly never know what you're gonna get every time you step out your door to go running.  It's worth it for that alone, right?

....AND MUSIC

Listen to this:
Own It - Sojourn Society

2 comments:

  1. What if you didn't warn the Police officer? What if someone was attacked?
    I would rather take the 30 seconds out of my run, and inform someone who could do something about it (whether or not they did or not, is another story), than have the though of it hurting someone.
    So you did the right thing in my book.
    As for the song, I like it, don't see myself running to it, more of lounging song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. Even if he was laughing at me it was worth it. I could just see some little kid trying to touch it and that would not have ended well.
      Song is definitely a bit more mellow...good for a warm up or cool down...or lounging, of course. I'm all over the map with the tunes!

      Delete