Monday, August 26, 2013

Talk. Laugh. Listen. Dance.

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, 
and your friends beside you."
~ Aaron Douglas Trimble

Yesterday I did a long run with my running partner and good friend, KH.   We are both training for a fall marathon and, thankfully, our running schedules are pretty similar.  I have been running solo for most of the summer so I was more than thrilled to have a wingman.  We were on the road together for 3 hours. T-H-R-E-E. Hours.  You know I love music.  A new song or album can motivate me to run like nobody's business.  But, truthfully, I'll take running with a buddy over running solo with a new playlist any day.  The first hour or so of our run literally flew by.  We both have kids.  We both have jobs.  We both have a love/hate relationship with running.  And we haven't seen each other all summer.  Let's just say there was no shortage of conversation.  
Talk.  Laugh.  Listen.  Repeat.  Talk.  Laugh.  Listen.  Repeat.  
As we got into the second hour, our conversation shifted into shorter phrases and one to two word sentences such as; "Stop looking at your watch," and "I'm dying" and "No, you're not" and "What the hell was THAT guy doing?"  And, as you'd expect, by the end, things got pretty quiet.  We were both really tired and we'd covered every topic we could think of.  And we were both really tired.  Did I mention how tired we were?  But even still, the steady rhythm of our feet and our breathing was as good, if not better, than the beat of the music that I depend so heavily on when I am running alone.  It was long.  It was insanely hard.  It was hot.  And in it's own, crazy, backwards way, it was awesome.  For me, running is like dancing.   Dancing is fun.  And I have no problem doing it by myself.  But, it's a lot more fun to dance with a friend than to dance alone.

Listen to this:
Pumpin Blood - NONONO  

No comments:

Post a Comment