Thursday, October 17, 2013

TOP 5s


Today, I thought I'd share the latest and greatest assortment of TOP 5 LISTS that I've put together over the past few days.  WHY?  Because who doesn't love a good Top 5 list now and again?  Okay, but really.  Because it was something to think about before, during and after the marathon that I ran on Saturday. Because I can't believe I remembered all of them.  Because I am still seeking out the humor and joy in these crazy runner situations; even when they are disappointing and/or frustrating.  (I know, I know...I'm can't seem to stop talking about joy and pain.  This is it for a while, I promise).  And...well...just because, dammit!  Enjoy.

TOP 5 SIGNS HELD UP BY SPECTATORS
1. You have already run WAY more than I ever have!! (At MILE 2)
2. Just Keep Swimming. Just Keep Swimming. Just Keep Swimming. (w/ pic of Dory)
3. My grandma is CRUSHING it. (how awesome is this??)
4. TEQUILA - 3 MILES AHEAD (yes, I did think about a post-race margarita here)
5. YES. YOU. CAN. (I vaguely remember nodding back to this sign, not the person)

TOP 5 QUOTES FROM MY KIDS POST-RACE
1. Grace - Did you win? (she asks this every time)
2. Rosie - Good job, mom.  Can we go get ice cream now? (a promise is a promise)
3. Grace - Can I have a piggy back to the car? (because her legs were tired)
4. Rosie - You gonna eat these chips? (while digging through my marathon goody bag)
5. Grace - Are you done running now, mom? (I'm pretty sure she meant forever)

TOP 5 COMMENTS FROM FAMILY, FRIENDS & FELLOW RUNNERS
1. So, you went for it.  It didn't work.  But you gotta give yourself some credit for taking the risk. (KH)
2. They can't all be perfect.  But your life is still pretty darn good. (Mom)
3. You're not an elite athlete.  You're a mom with a job and a very busy life.  And still, you ran a marathon in 3:21.  That's kind of insane. (LD)
4. I know you are not happy with it, but from here its a 3:21 marathon which is pretty damn good.  Sending you a well deserved congratulations. (slow_running)
5. Congrats on Marathon #7. 30 years from now you'll remember the time you bonked a 3:21. (deuce deuce)

TOP 5 SONGS THAT GOT ME THROUGH
1. BURN - Ellie Goulding  
2. TIGER KIT - Sleigh Bells  
3. EMILY - MIKA    
4. A STILLNESS - The Naked and Famous  
5. GIVE IT TO ME - Timbaland (feat. Justin Timberlake & Nelly Furtado)    

Listen to this:
CHOLLA - The Joy Formidable  

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great example of the self-focused perspective of a kid, asking for a piggyback to the car because 'her legs were tired.' LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome top 5. The kid responses were gold. Gotta love kids.
    Totally love Burn by Ellie that's my top track too.

    ReplyDelete