Wednesday, May 7, 2014

NO AGENDA


This past Sunday I woke up late.  Because I could.  And then I drank some coffee.  Then I did some other things of little importance.  Looming in the back of my mind was the fact that I wanted to get a short and easy run in.  I wasn't eager to go, per se.  But I wasn't dreading it either.  Let's just say it was on my "to-do" list and I was finding lots of ways to procrastinate.  In truth, I was tired.  I'd been with my LHS runners at the Weston Twilight track meet the night before, running around like a chicken with my head cut off for 6+ hours, and I hadn't gotten home until 11:30pm (which you know is mad-late for me).  I considered bailing all together on the run, but then, running often has a strange way of re-booting me for the rest of the day, so I knew I needed to just go.  Two hours and three cups of coffee later, I was ready to hit the road.  It didn't hurt that the weather was perfect.  Something I will never, EVER, take for granted again after this winter.  It was warm, with some good cloud cover, and a light breeze.  After a few heavy steps, I found my groove, both with pace and my music.  As I hit my second mile, I felt light on my feet in a way I haven't felt in quite some time.  I caught myself smiling at nothing in particular as I jogged pass the CVS window in Medford.  What, I wondered to myself, was going on?  And as I cruised along, it hit me.  On this particular day, for this particular run I had NO AGENDA.  I also had no time constraints, no pressure, no worries, no stress, no aches and/or pains, no race crowds to deal, no car traffic to weave through, no rain/wind/snow to bitch about, no....well you get the point.  None of it.  Zip.  Zero.  Nada.  This run was just for me.  And it was f'in amazing.  I like to train.  I really like to race.  Sometimes, I hate them both, too.  That's okay.  Maybe only a crazy nut-job runner, such as myself, can appreciate this notion.  But, thankfully, there is something about just plain running that always brings out the best in me.  And I love that.  You get it.  Right?

Listen to this:
Champion - Donora  

No comments:

Post a Comment