Tuesday, May 13, 2014

RWR: MEET SPENCER


"What I like most about it is that it can be something so superficial 
and light and makes you just want to dance and it can also be something 
so powerful and emotional it can bring you to tears."
~ Spencer Blohm

Today I am fired up to introduce you to runner, rocker and freelance writer, Spencer Blohm.  Some of you may recall the name, as he has written a couple guest posts for RWM within the last year.  But, I'll give you a little back story just in case.  Last July, Spencer reached out to me, asking if I had any plans to do a post in honor of the great Jack White since it was his birthday.  I am, indeed, a huge fan of Jack White, but I was not prepared to do a specific birthday post so I eagerly asked Spencer to take the reigns; which he was happy to do.  (Click here to check it out).  A few months later, Spencer did another post, this one running related, to celebrate the release of Lady Gaga's second album.  Hands down, one of my favorite posts and worth a read if you missed it.  (Take a look here)  Clearly, Spencer has a lot to say about music, running and all things pop culture.  So, it should come as no surprise that when I created the RWR Series, he was one of the first people that came to mind as someone I wanted to feature.  I haven't met him in person, but I have no doubt that he's a cool cat and that he'd be really fun to chill with.  The fact that ABBA is one of his favorite bands ...well, that kind of sealed the deal for me.  So young, yet so wise.  I'll leave it at that and let Spencer tell you the rest.

RUNNERS WHO ROCK: SPENCER


Name: Spencer Blohm
Where you're from: Northwestern Iowa (no point in saying the name of the town because anyone who doesn’t live there hasn’t heard of it)
Where you reside now: Chicago
Age: 22
Occupation: Freelance entertainment, fashion and sports blogger for social media monitoring and analytics company ViralHeat.com.

RUNNING & MUSIC
What do you love most about running?
I love that it’s something I can use as an escape, both from myself and from other people. When I’m running I usually can get into this zone where I’m able to tune out the rest of the world and think about whatever I want to.  Also, the runners high is a nice perk too.

What do you love most about music?
I come from a pretty musical background. I’ve played the viola for nearly 15 years and sang in choir during middle school, high school, and college, so music has always been a big part of my life. What I like most about it is that it can be something so superficial and light and makes you just want to dance and it can also be something so powerful and emotional it can bring you to tears. There aren’t many things that can do both those things.

The one and, by far the only, ABBA

SPENCER'S FAVORITES:
Band:  It’s probably a tie between Abba and Queen.
Album: I honestly cannot pick a favorite album, I love so many! But right now I’ve been listening to Kiss Me Once by Kylie Minogue a lot since it just came out.
Race venue: I haven’t been in a real race in years!
Music venue: I really like the Riviera Theater up on the north side. It used to be one of those really elaborate movie theaters they converted.
Race distance: I’m hoping the answer to this will be half marathon by the end of the summer!
Live show: Madonna during her last tour. Seeing her live is insane. She is a true athlete because she never stopped jumping, running, flipping, etc… for the whole show, but in heels!
Ice cream flavor: Ben & Jerry’s Red Velvet




THIS OR THAT:
Salty or sweet: Sweet
Live or recorded: Depends on the singer, but usually recorded
Coffee or tea: Coffee!
Summer or winter: Summer





MORE MUSIC INFO:
Which band or artist would you go see tonight if you could?
I’ve heard Beyonce’s new tour is really great, so I’ll say her.

Which band or artist (no longer alive or playing together) would you go see tonight if you could? Queen

Which band or artist would you like to have dinner with tonight if you could? 
The Rolling Stones, can you imagine the stories they have to tell?

Which band or artist would you like to be playing alongside you during your next race (or long run)? Probably Queen again. What could beat Freddie Mercury playing “Eye of the Tiger” right next to you?

Top 5 Songs for running, dancing or both?
Such a hard question to answer, but these songs have been in multiple running playlists of mine:
I Feel Love - Donna Summer  
Get Outta My Way - Kylie Minogue  
Black Skinhead - Kanye West  
Marry the Night- Lady Gaga  
Crazy in Love - Beyonce & Jay-Z  

Last 5 Songs you listened to today?
Drive - Miley Cyrus  
Ride a White Horse - Goldfrapp  
Fine - Kylie Minogue & Karen Poole  
Alphabet Pony - The Kills  
Justify My Love - Madonna  

No comments:

Post a Comment